Shane’s Story

Shane

Shane was crushed when a dresser tipped over on top of him. He was 2 years old.

Submitted by his mother, Lisa

Shane was a vibrant, energetic two-year old, loved by his sister, parents, and so many others. On March 14, 2011, Shane’s mother, Lisa, put him down for a nap and told him she loved him; he said “love you” back before she closed the door. When she came to wake Shane up, she found that he had been killed by an overturned dresser. Shane had attempted to climb the dresser in his room, which had tipped over under the added weight. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that in the US, a child is sent to the emergency room every 24 minutes as a result of falling furniture.

Since her family’s tragic loss, Lisa dedicated herself to ensuring that all children are safe in their homes. She created Shane’s Foundation in 2012, through which she has educated parents about the dangers of falling furniture, works with manufacturers to design safer furniture, and successfully advocated for the CPSC to recall dressers from Bexco, IKEA, and other manufacturers. Shane’s Foundation emphasizes on the importance of anti-tip hardware, which keeps furniture and TVs mounted to the wall and prevents them from falling over.

Too many children have been injured or died as a result of furniture tip-overs, and Shane’s Foundation honors Shane’s legacy through its life-saving education and advocacy efforts.

Learn more about Shane’s story and Shane’s Foundation in this Storycorp interview between Lisa Siefert and KID Executive Director, Nancy Cowles.

 

For more information on this hazard, visit our Product Hazard page on furniture tip-overs.