After the death of a 10-month-old baby this past March, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning about the risk of strangulation by baby monitor cords. This can occur if the monitor is placed too close to areas where children sleep. The children can reach out to the cord and became entangled in it.

CPSC has reports of at least six deaths since 2004 and three additional near-strangulations.

To avoid injuries and death CPSC recommends:

  • The use of wireless baby monitors to avoid strangulation or
  • If using a baby monitor with cords, make sure all cords are out of reach of the child.

The baby monitor cords are just one possible cord hazard in the nursery or home — watch all other corded products and avoid window coverings with cords in homes with young children.