October is National Window Covering Safety Month. Many parents and caregivers are unaware that window covering cords can lead to strangulation in under a minute. On average, about nine children ages five and younger die every year from strangulation in window blinds, shades, and other window coverings with cords. And another 16 children up to eight years old are injured, according to data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Just in the past month, two children have strangled on window covering cords. In Provo, Utah, a 1-year-old boy’s father found him hanging in the blind cords and two days later he passed away. A 4-year-old boy in Jacksonville, Texas died after being entangled in a window blind cord. These incidents are quick and silent.

The current voluntary rule only applies to stock items (as-is from store shelves) and not custom coverings, which leaves a large loophole. The CPSC advises consumers to buy and install cordless window coverings in all rooms where a child may spend time. Cordless products are available at most major retailers and online.  The CPSC has released a draft standard that will make the requirements mandatory and apply to all window coverings.

Share a picture of your cordless window coverings with #GoCordless to spread the word, and tag us @kidsindanger.  Learn more at Parents for Window Blind Safety.