KID Best Friend Award Night – April 30, 2019
Each year, KID commemorates our progress, honors the memory of Danny Keysar and other victims of unsafe children’s products and highlights the contributions of child safety champions. The KID Best Friend Award Night brings together community leaders, safety advocates, families and KID supporters. The funds raised at this event allow us to continue our valuable outreach and provide a strong voice for safety. The 2019 KID Best Friend Award Night will be held on Tuesday, April 30, 2019, at Galleria Marchetti in Chicago from 6-9 pm.
This year, we’re honoring Nicole and Jonathan Hughes, and Morgan and Bode Miller. On June 10, 2018, three-year old Levi Hughes slipped away from his family for only a moment and drowned in an outdoor pool in seconds. That same day, 19-month old Emmy Miller walked through a back door at a family friend’s house and fell into the pool and drowned. Emmy was in the pool for less than a minute. In honor of their children, the Hughes and Miller families have devoted their efforts to educating the public about pool safety and the dangers of water hazards by sharing life-saving resources. KID is proud to honor Nicole & Jonathan, and Morgan & Bode for their advocacy in the midst of grief to help keep other children safe.
Purchase tickets and sponsorships here.
Past Best Friend Awardees
- Linda Ginzel and Boaz Keysar, KID Founders for 20 years of dedication to fighting for children’s product safety
- The SEGAL DESIGN INSTITUTE AT NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY for its participation in KID’s Teach Early Safety Testing (TEST) program.
- MICHIGAN ENGINEERING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN for their participation in KID’s Teach Early Safety Testing (TEST) program
- The INSTITUTE OF DESIGN AT THE ILLINOIS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY for its work with KID on innovations to improve recall effectiveness.
- THE RUSTANDY CENTER FOR SOCIAL SECTOR INNOVATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO BOOTH SCHOOL OF BUSINESS for its support of KID.
- Lisa M. Turano for her voice in support of children’s product safety and philanthropic support for KID
- Barbara Guthrie for her leadership on children’s safety at Underwriters Laboratories
- Inez Tenenbaum for her leadership on children’s product safety
- Shawn Kasserman for his strong voice in support of children’s product safety
- Sonny Garg for his instrumental role in developing responses to unsafe children’s products and his strong leadership in KID
- Mitch Lipka for his commitment to reporting on children’s product safety
- Gary Smith, MD for his pioneering work in the field of childhood injury prevention
- US Representative Bobby Rush and US Senator Mark Pryor for their commitment to children and leadership on product safety
- US Senator Richard Durbin for his commitment to children and leadership on product safety
- Robert Tanz, MD and Elizabeth Powell, MD, MPH for their leadership in injury prevention research and policy
- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan for her enforcement of Illinois’ Children’s Product Safety Act and her strong commitment to children’s safety
- Michigan Governor Jennifer M. Granholm for her support of the Children’s Product Safety Act and advocacy for children’s safety
- Rachel Weintraub and Mary Ellen Fise for their role as strong advocates for children’s product safety
- Commissioner Caroline Shoenberger, State Senator Carol Ronen and US Representative Jan Schakowsky for their dedication to changing public policy to protect children
- NBC Target 5 Consumer Unit for outstanding coverage of children’s product safety
- E. Marla Felcher for her groundbreaking book, It’s No Accident: How Corporations Sell Dangerous Baby Products